So we're coming towards the end of summer which seems to have absolutely flown by this year, and what a past eight months it's been! Firstly I've completed my first year at Italia Conti which has been such a roller coaster ride for me and the hardest but most amazing thing I've ever done. I have met the most amazing people and made some crazy and unforgettable memories. With the end of term of course comes the end of year show, a week of lights, make up and a lot of hairspray.
As I write this I'm currently sat on my bed, in my new room, in my beautiful new Guildford house. I have fallen absolutely head over heels for this place in the nicest area with the best two house mates I could ask for. Moving in has taken up a lot of my summer and there is a chance of a possible upcoming bedroom tour/homeware hall.
In my new kitchen, when I had some free time i decided to finally make some cupcakes with a recipe I'd seen on Youtube which I had been dying to try out, so here it is:
Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes
Cake: (12 cupcake cases)
70g Unsalted Butter
210g Self raising flour
250g Caster Sugar
1Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Large Eggs
40g Strawberry Milkshake powder
500g Icing Sugar
160g Unsalted Butter
50ml Whole Milk
100g Strawberry Milkshake Powder
+ Any decoration you want to add (e.g. straws, sprinkles, chocolate shavings...)
* PRE HEAT OVEN TO 180 FAN/170 C/325 F/GM 3*
1. First add your butter (at room temperature) to a mixing bowl with the sugar, salt, baking powder and the flower. Mix this until it becomes like fine bread crumbs.
2. In a jug, whisk your eggs lightly with a fork then add your milk and of course your strawberry milkshake powder.
3. Once fully mixed, fold this into your mixture until there are no lumps and it feels light and airy.
4. Line a cupcake tray with 12 cases of your choice- I used these adorable tea cup silicone cases which can be really handy as they are reusable. Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, equally add your mixture to the cases until they are about 3/4 full. Then place into the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
5. Once your cakes are done, they will be bouncy to touch and a knife will come out clean, leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
1. While your cakes cool, add your butter and sifted icing sugar into your mixing bowl (you may want to do this a bit at a time) and mix until its fully blended.
2. Into your jug add your milk and milkshake powder then mix into a smooth paste before adding to your mixing bowl and mixing for a further minute or so until it becomes smooth but not too runny (add more icing sugar for thickness)
3. Carefully spoon some of the frosting into a piping bag with a large star tip nozzle, and starting from the outside, ice the cupcake into a dome-like swirl- see picture above. Repeat with all the cupcakes.
* Make sure the cakes are completely cool before icing otherwise the frosting will melt!*
4. Finally decorate your cakes however you want. I chose to cut up some mini straws and sprinkle my cakes with chocolate shavings before finishing off with a small chunk of Kit Kat placed into the top.
So there you have it, delicious Strawberry Milkshake flavoured cupcakes. I hope you liked this recipe as I certainly did!
Thank you for reading and enjoy!
♥ ♥ ♥